As the weather starts to get a bit nicer, more and more remodels will get underway. The room predicted to be toward the top of the list is... the bathroom! Whether you want to transform the space into a quiet retreat for you to use at the end of a long day or simply as a powder room for guests, the bathroom is one of the home’s most functional and well-used spaces.
If you’re considering a renovation or even a light face-lift for your bathroom this year, then keep in mind the following five fabulous trends.
1. Statement flooring. Pair a neutral wall and white fixtures with bold patterned tiles for a striking statement. In smaller bathrooms a feature floor tile adds style without overwhelming the space, and when used in a larger bathroom, the effect can be very elegant. Some of my favorite patterned tiles are from designer Ann Sacks. You can view her collection here: annsacks.com
2. Natural beauty. Want a bathing area that’s welcoming and serene? Then drawing design inspiration from nature is a great way to warm a typically very hard room of the house and infuse the space with a calming vibe. You can achieve this vibe by introducing earthy materials like natural stone or wood-look tiles into the space.
3. Vintage touches. The all-white, sterile bathrooms that have been so popular the last couple of years are loosing it's stride. To keep your bathroom from looking like a cookie-cutter copy of everything else you see, try adding in some personality with vintage pieces. Just a few vintage pieces will do the trick - add a chandelier above a free-standing tub, a large gilded mirror or a vintage painting.
4. Custom vanities. You aren't limited by stock vanities from Home Depot. If you aren't seeing what you want on the market, then go custom. Custom vanities are made to fit your needs and aesthetic. The vanities can range from large drawer units or sleek modern shelves with sink bowls. Don't forget about the space above your vanity - the classic medicine cabinet is making a resurgence, but with a twist. There are a lot of products on the market that incorporate soft-close technology and have integrated lighting. It is a great way to increase storage while giving the illusion of spaciousness.
5. Interesting Fixtures. Gone are the days when the only selection of faucets are nickel-plated. Now bathroom fixtures come in a variety of interesting finishes and colors. Look for oil-rubbed bronze, warm-colored copper, brass, bronze, or powder-coated black/white fixtures. Good old plain stainless steel is still a safe choice, but the possibilities are endless.
Need help updating your bathroom? Contact me today and we can redesign your bathroom to maximize your space and create the perfect aesthetic that is unique to you.